Saturday, April 2, 2011

Three!?!

Matt and I were very excited to learn that Madilin would be a big sister back in January.  Having another baby had been on our radar for a bit, as she will be three in June.  So the shock was not so much in that we were pregnant, but more so in what we would learn over the next few weeks.


We went to our first appointment in February.  We were very excited to see the first heartbeat...um...make that heartbeats!  As Dr. H. started the ultrasound, she quickly turned the screen towards me and Matt and asked, "What do you see?".  Before I had time to suggest that I was sure she definitely knew more about what was on the screen than me, I clearly saw that there was not one, but TWO babies with little blinking heartbeats staring back at us!  Matt's reaction:  "I knew it!".  Apparently since I had been sick from virtually the moment we knew we were pregnant, Matt believed that something was definitely up.  I was pretty sick with Madilin, but it didn't start until I was further along.  The rest of the ultrasound I spent lying back on the table in disbelief.  Little did I know, this would be nothing compared to the rush of emotions ahead.


Matt and I spent the next 5 weeks wrapping our heads around the fact that we were having twins.  It was a process...disbelief, shock, joy, excitement, and a big to do list.  We were just getting used to the idea when my next ultrasound appointment arrived.  I thought February 11th would be forever etched in my mind as a crazy day, but March 15th takes the cake.  This ultrasound was at the hospital where they were to do a screening test for abnormalities, etc.  Steve, the ultrasound guy, took us back and was making conversation with us about twins.  About two seconds into the ultrasound, Steve announced that we were not in fact having twins...but we were having TRIPLETS!!!!  I'm very glad that I was lying down...and Matt was sitting!  Apparently it is common in early ultrasounds to miss a baby when multiples are involved.  The second ultrasound I was further along and it was a higher powered ultrasound, making it easier to see.  The rest of the appointment was spent getting us set up with a perinatologist.  


The ride home was pretty quiet...in fact, I'm not sure Matt and I talked much about it for two days.  I just don't think we were knew what to say and needed to process it for a bit.  Talk about sending a pregnant lady's hormones into overdrive, that certainly did it.  Although I thought I would cry, I didn't.  Part of me wanted to while I was lying there on the table in the ultrasound, but I couldn't.  The tears didn't come.  As overwhelming as the news was, and as hard as some of the days ahead may be, how could I not be happy?  We were looking at THREE healthy babies, with strong heartbeats, all measuring at 12 weeks, on the ultrasound screen.  What a blessing!  


Baby C, Baby B, and some of Baby A
12 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment